Sunday, November 22, 2009

Wikipedia Article


The article I chose to expand on Wikipedia was an article about the city of Madrid's flag. I am currently taking a Civilization of Spain course for my Spanish major and thought that it would be appropriate. Although I could not find a lot of extra information on the symbolism of the flag I did add a paragraph to the article and corrected the spelling of the word "centered" on the initial entry.

Here's the part that I added: "The significance of the bear leaning against a madroño, or strawberry tree, is unknown however, the tree is native to Madrid. One known theory is that bear and tree represent a farming rights dispute between the clergy and citizens. The seven stars supposedly represent the seven stars in the Plough constellation closest to the Ursa Major (Great Bear) Constellation. These stars symbolize the North and therefore, since North is the direction on which all others are based, the stars represent Madrid as the seat of government for Spain."

It took me a little while to figure out how to hyperlink certain words and add references but at least two of the links work and my reference did link at the end correctly. I will go back and edit the "plough constellation" link so it redirects to an existing wikipedia link.

No comments:

Post a Comment